Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Why?

You might ask why I spend so much effort reiterating that the photograph is not the subject matter.
 
In my opinion, the answer is very simple; it is the first step from being a picture taker to being a photographer. It is an extremely difficult step to take because for most it requires a complete change of thinking about what a photograph is or what a photograph can be. I think that if you want to enjoy more of photography than the verisimilitude it is the first step that you have to take. It’s like going from reading We Three and Scottie to reading War and Peace.
 
As always, my disclaimer: there is nothing wrong with enjoying the verisimilitude. Capturing a sharp, well composed, properly exposed photograph can be quite satisfying. I am still pleased when I do. However, I am not thrilled; that requires finding myself in my photograph.

No comments: