Tuesday, July 9, 2013

More Quotes

Henry James proposed asking of art three modest and appropriate questions: What is the artist trying to do? Does he do it? Was it worth doing? - Robert Adams - Beauty in Photography: essays in defense of traditional values (Aperture)

Ouvre l'oeil ! - Christophe Agou

You've got to push yourself harder. You've got to start looking for pictures nobody else could take. You've got to take the tools you have and probe deeper. - William Albert Allard, Photographic Essay (American Photographer Master Series) by William Albert Allard

What we can easily see is only a small percentage of what is possible. Imagination is having the vision to see what is just below the surface; to picture that which is essential, but invisible to the eye. -  Anonymous

By knowing a person, you know yourself. You become the person you photograph. You love that person as you love yourself. - Anonymous

When I ask to photograph someone, it is because I love the way they look and I think I make that clear. I'm paying them a tremendous compliment. What I'm saying is, I want to take you home with me and look at you for the rest of my life. - Amy Arbus - On the question: "How do you get cooperation from your subjects for such wonderful portraits?" Interview with Amy Arbus - Revealing Human Nature Through Portrait Photography.

I always thought of photography as a naughty thing to do -- that was one of my favorite things about it, and when I first did it, I felt very perverse. - Diane Arbus, On Photography by Susan Sontag 
Take pictures of what you fear. - Diane Arbus

Every time I see a crowd of photographers surrounding a subject my impulse is to go in the opposite direction. - Ignacio Aronovich 
---

No comments: